AP U.S. History Teacher
BASIS International School Shenzhen is seeking qualified candidates for AP U.S. History Teacher for the 2020-21 school year!
BASIS International teachers are knowledgeable, passionate, and believe in transforming education. As part of a uniquely collaborative and professional teaching community, BASIS International teachers motivate students to reach their highest potential, while also elevating their own skills through peer collaboration and a culture where learning is of the greatest importance.
As an AP U.S. History teacher, it is primarily your responsibility to develop engaging, content-rich subject specific lesson plans, and to teach students world history as a means to develop global perspectives and understand how and why historical events happened.
U.S. History teachers cover significant events, individuals, developments, and processes in nine historical periods from approximately 1491 to present. Students will develop skills in analyzing primary and secondary sources, making historical comparisons, and utilizing reasoning about contextualization, causation, and continuity and change over time. U.S. History teachers are able to collaborate with other BASIS International teachers to tie in lessons with what students are learning in other subjects, such as music and art. Our U.S. History teachers are passionate and excited to teach their students in innovative ways, and our students are eager to learn and grow. Topics related to the AP U.S. History exam will be covered.
Primary Job Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Prepare subject specific lessons in AP U.S. History for high school aged students.
- Provide subject instruction on a higher level than grade standard, in an interactive learning environment and delivering exceptional results for all students.
- Implement BASIS Curriculum by designing effective and creative lessons and assessments to ensure students’ education is at an internationally competitive level.
- Collaborate with other BASIS International teachers to form a community of smart, talented and interesting people who are passionate about education and readily willing to work in a professional, academic environment.
- Tutor students in content-specific knowledge and skills to heighten the trajectory of students’ academic and career success.
- Manage student behavior to foster academic achievement, personal responsibility, intellect and individuality in all students.
- A Bachelor’s degree in History or related field; or a degree in Elementary/Secondary Education with additional course work (24-30 credit hours) in History.
- Documentation of passage of a state or national authorized subject test in the teaching area may fulfill the special certification.
- Minimum two years teaching experience as a lead teacher required.
- Must be able to successfully pass a background clearance.
Preferred: Subject matter postgraduate work (Master’s or Ph.D.) is preferred. Together with a high level of educational attainment, a successful applicant will demonstrate strong communication skills in teaching ideas, texts, and concepts with precision and confidence. Must be open to new ideas in teaching.
Salary and Benefits
Salary for this position is competitive and dependent on education and experience. BASIS International Schools offers a comprehensive benefits package, including health coverage, housing allowance, travel assistance, retirement benefit, and more. Assistance in obtaining a visa will be provided.
Job Reference #: 1152511