Computer Science Teacher (Berkeley Global Program)
Computer Science Teacher (Berkeley Global Program)
|Location:||Nanshan District, Shenzhen, Guangdong|
BASIS International Schools - China is seeking experienced candidates for a Computer Science Teacher to be part of our brand new Berkeley Global partnership for the 2022-23 school year!
Berkeley Global has partnered with BASIS International and Bilingual Schools China (BIBSC), and are looking for qualified high school and university teachers to teach UC Berkeley Extension courses in China starting fall 2022.
The UC Berkeley/BIBSC partnership provides high school teachers with an unprecedented opportunity to:
- Join an exceptional team of professional educators who develop and deliver Berkeley course experiences at the forefront of educational innovation
- Collaborate with distinguished faculty at UC Berkeley to deliver courses onsite in China
- Teach highly engaged secondary students while experiencing an honored culture and gaining unique life experiences teaching abroad as part of an esteemed international education network
About the Program
Berkeley Global teachers will teach onsite at our campuses in Eastern and Southern China during the school year. They will cooperate with a UC Berkeley Extension primary instructor to deliver Berkeley Extension versions of undergraduate courses to students from 8th to 12th grade.
As a Computer Science instructor, you will work with the UC Berkeley Extension primary instructor to deliver Berkeley Extension courses that may include foundations of computer science, the beauty and joy of computing, and other related courses.
BASIS International and Bilingual Schools China students are high-achieving international students preparing for enrollment at top American universities. Berkeley Global teacher candidates will be hired by BIBSC, but will also be affiliates of UC Berkeley Extension. Our schools are regarded as a prestigious teaching post in international education and you will work alongside experienced international teachers.
Berkeley Global Teacher Duties
Teacher duties include, but are not limited to:
- Complete mandatory training programs by deadlines established by UC Berkeley
- Prepare and deliver course materials, lectures/presentations, and design learning assessments
- Design interactive and motivational classroom activities to fully engage participants and to reinforce student learning
- Stay current within the subject, discipline, or field of practice
- Use subject-matter expertise and leverage additional resources appropriately to enhance the curriculum
- Utilize course support platforms, including the Canvas Learning Management System and other instructional technology (as applicable)
- Communicate teaching objectives and specific learning outcomes to students, and clearly outline/explain the grading policies for the course
- Respond to student questions and learning needs in a timely manner
- Evaluate student achievement of specific learning outcomes and assign grades
- Communicate final student grades to the primary instructor within two weeks of course completion
- Handle student inquiries about final grades and consult with the primary instructor and Program Manager as needed
- Retain student records according to University policies
- May be considered by the department to serve as a subject matter expert to write original online course curriculum and content
- Complete required administrative tasks in a timely manner including: updating and submitting syllabi using approved syllabus template; communicating required texts and materials; communicating classroom technology and support needs
- 6 to 10 years of teaching experience
- Advanced degree from a top 50 US university or Russell Group UK university
- Experience in course development, including creating original academic content such as syllabi, learning objectives, lectures/presentations/scripts, learning activities, assignments, assessments, exams, and quizzes
- Experience teaching online and/or developing academic content for online courses
- Effective organizational skills with attention to detail
- Effective verbal/written communication and presentation skills (English)
- Ability to convey conceptual and complex ideas and information
- Ability to collaborate with colleagues and work within a team environment
- Proficiency in (or willingness to learn) instructional and other technology, such as: Learning Management Systems (Canvas, Moodle, Blackboard, edX, etc.); online tele/video conferencing tools (e.g. Zoom, Google Hangouts, Skype, Adobe Connect, etc.); iWork (Pages, Numbers, Keynote); Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, etc.); Google Home and Office tools (docs, sheets, slides, etc.); online file sharing (e.g. Google drive, Box, Dropbox, etc.); online shared calendars (e.g. Google calendar, Outlook, etc.)
Benefits and Salary
Salary for this position is competitive and dependent upon education and experience. BASIS International Schools offers a comprehensive benefits package, including global health coverage, housing allowance, travel assistance, retirement benefit, and more. Assistance in obtaining a visa will be provided.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status.