Elementary English Language Arts Teacher
BASIS International School Nanjing is seeking qualified candidates for Elementary English Language Arts Teacher for the 2020-21 school year!
BASIS International teachers are knowledgeable, passionate, and believe in transforming education. As part of a uniquely collaborative and professional teaching community, BASIS teachers motivate students to reach their highest potential, while also elevating their own skills through peer collaboration and a culture where learning is of the greatest importance. Our elementary classrooms are taught by two teachers-one Subject Expert Teacher (SET) and one Learning Expert Teacher (LET).
BASIS International Elementary Subject Expert Teachers are able to focus their teaching on a specific subject rather than preparing lessons for several subjects every day. They work collaboratively with Learning Expert Teachers (LETs) to cultivate a joyful learning culture where hard work is celebrated and where intellectual pursuits result in extraordinary student outcomes. At the elementary level, LETs help you focus on instruction while they ensure individual student understanding according to student needs. As a Subject Expert Teacher, it is primarily your responsibility to develop engaging, content-rich subject specific lesson plans and to teach creative thinking and problem solving.
Elementary English Language Arts teachers establish a solid foundation of language and social science skills and knowledge. Language Arts topics covered include beginnings of reading and writing, reading comprehension, writing process, and much more. Some Social science topics covered include world history, American history, beginnings of geographic awareness, and basic civics and government. These broad and varied areas of study give Language Arts teachers the ability to approach the material in new and creative ways, while providing students with a broad knowledge base to build upon.
Primary Job Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Prepare subject specific lessons in English Language Arts for elementary aged students.
- Provide subject instruction on a higher level than grade standard, in an interactive learning environment and delivering exceptional results for all students.
- Implement BASIS Curriculum by designing effective and creative lessons and assessments to ensure students’ education is at an internationally competitive level.
- Collaborate with other BASIS International teachers to form a community of smart, talented and interesting people who are passionate about education and readily willing to work in a professional, academic environment.
- Tutor students in content-specific knowledge (math, sciences, fine arts, engineering, history, and more) and skills to heighten the trajectory of students’ academic and career success.
- Manage student behavior to foster academic achievement, personal responsibility, intellect and individuality in all students.
A Bachelor’s degree and ability to successfully pass a background clearance. In addition to a Bachelor’s degree, a major (24-30 credit hours) or advanced degree in the teaching subject fulfills the highly qualified requirement. In some cases, a Bachelor’s degree and documentation of passage of a state authorized subject test in the teaching area may fulfill the highly qualified requirement. Minimum two years teaching experience as a lead teacher required.
Preferred: Subject matter postgraduate work (Master’s or Ph.D.) is preferred. Together with a high level of educational attainment, a successful applicant will demonstrate strong communication skills in teaching ideas, texts, and concepts with precision and confidence. Must be open to new ideas in teaching.
Salary and Benefits
Salary for this position is competitive and dependent on education and experience. BASIS International Schools offers a comprehensive benefits package, including health coverage, housing allowance, travel assistance, retirement benefit, and more. Assistance in obtaining a visa will be provided.
Job Reference #: 1152865