BASIS International School Nanjing is seeking qualified candidates for an English Language Learner (ELL) Coordinator for the 2023 school year!
The mission of BASIS International Schools is to provide a transformative early childhood and K-12 education. Every BASIS International School provides a joyful learning community where hard work is celebrated and intellectual pursuits result in extraordinary outcomes. In just four years we have established four highly-regarded international schools in some of China’s most dynamic regions: Shenzhen, Guangzhou, Park Lane Harbour, and Hangzhou, with more campuses opening in China and additional countries the coming years. BASIS International Schools is building a team of talented, passionate, hard working professionals to ensure our students receive the best education in the world.
As an ELL Coordinator you will work with both teachers and students to support academic and social English language development. When working with teachers you will provide instructional expertise on the integration of ELL best practices into everyday classroom environments. You will use English Language Proficiency assessments and progress monitoring tools to develop, implement and monitor comprehensive ELL programs. Programs involve push in/pull out, small group, and individual student support.
Job responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Advocate for the academic and personal/social needs of English Language Learners.
- Monitor the academic progress for all ELL students
- Identify students who require intensive English Language support and determine the level and nature of services for each student.
- Support classroom teachers in implementing ELL instructional best practices that support the rigor of the BASIS Curriculum.
- Provide intervention and support within the classroom (especially Literacy and STEM related courses)
- Plan and collaborate with teachers to design and implement engaging cross-curricular instruction that leads to English language fluency in all content areas.
- Attend weekly planning sessions with classroom teachers to support lesson planning, projects, and small group instruction. Suggest accommodations and appropriate lesson structures to support ELL students.
- Conduct, organize, and analyze on-going assessments of student performance using multiple assessment tools.
- Assist and support the development of a successful learning environment for ELL students in each classroom by providing school-wide training around language acquisition, planning needs and learning goals, differentiated instruction, and classroom practices that support student success.
- Model best teaching practices for teachers with the goal of developing their capacity to support specialized instruction, differentiation, and classroom accommodations to support ELL students.
- Assist the development of curriculum to support ELL learners and facilitate their access to the world-class education offered by BASIS International Schools.
- Meet regularly with School Directors and other professionals as needed to discuss student progress and the performance of ELLs.
- Attend parent-teacher conferences as needed in support of ELLs.
Minimum Qualifications: A Bachelor's degree, advanced degree preferred. Must possess the required credentials to teach in your home country or state which may include a Bachelor's degree in Education (or a Bachelor’s degree in another area in conjunction with certification through an approved teacher preparation program) and passing scores on state-required tests. Must have a minimum of 2 years of teaching experience.
Preferred Qualifications: Subject matter postgraduate work (Master's or Ph.D.) is preferred or a combination of subject matter undergraduate degree with a Master’s in Education. Knowledge of Basic Interpersonal Communication Skills (BICS) vs Cognitive Academic Language Proficiency (CALP) is preferred. Knowledge of WIDA/LAS Links assessments or other language assessments. Expertise in structured English language immersion programs (SIOP) is highly preferred.
Together with a high level of educational attainment, a successful applicant will demonstrate strong communication skills in teaching ideas, texts, and concepts with precision and confidence. Critically, an applicant must possess a high GPA in his/her major, excellent recommendations, experience working with children and be open to new ideas in teaching.
Additional Job Information:
Benefits and Salary: Salary for this position is competitive and dependent on education and experience. BASIS International Schools offers a comprehensive benefits package including global health coverage, housing allowance, retirement benefit, travel allowance, and more.
Job Reference #: 2277825